Taste - Apple Crisp a la Mode

Autumn and dessert with a "fruit has nutritional value" component = two of my favorite things in the world. Apple crisp, then, is a no brainer
come late
September.
However, I could not for the life of me remember the last time I had apple crisp; in fact, if I had to place a wager it'd be on 7th grade home ec. Pathetic.

To right this wrong, I made the above and below to stunning results:

-5 apples - peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 T all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water

1/2 cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 t baking powder
1/8 t baking soda
1/4 cup butter, melted (<- This is where I forgot to portion the recipe in half - the original calls for 10 apples - and I used 1/2 cup butter, Paula Dean style. Still awesome, probably a crisper apple crisp with the correct amount.)

Preheat oven to 350.
Place sliced apples in a glass dish.
Mix the white sugar, 1/2 T flour, and cinnamon together and sprinkle over apples.
Pour water evenly over all.
Combine the oats, 1 cup flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and melted butter together. Crumble evenly over the apple mixture.
Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.
(I turned it up to 375, moved it to the top rack, and left the door open a crack for the last 5-7 minutes to brown it a bit more.)

Paul and I enjoyed it with vanilla Hรคagen-Dazs and a sprinkle of cinnamon. And by "enjoyed it" I mean inhaled it and then relished in second helpings with singed tongues. Many thanks once more to Whitney and Kathy for providing the apples and inspiration. Happy Crisping!

2 comments:

Madame Fromage said...

You started a blog! I love the name "Sensuous Particulars," and I thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts over my lunch of Greek yogurt. Your writing is a pleasure, as always. I especially liked the way you wrote about the dirt in your palms. Good stuff. I look forward to reading more. BTW, I just read about a food bloggers brunch this Sunday at National Mechanics in Center City. Starts at 11 a.m. I'm planning to go, if you want to join the fray.

LTTan. said...

Thanks so much for the support and lovely invitation! Alas, I will be in the Poconos white-water rafting this weekend. (Full disclosure: that is indeed the first time I've ever said that truthfully.) I'd love to cross paths with you and the epicurious brethren sometime in the near future, though.

Post a Comment