One of the Three Most Important Meals of the Day

Sunday breakfast is a tried and true tradition at Jeff Tan's Diner (Upper Deerfield, NJ - call ahead,) and I do what I can to forge the time and resources to do the same on my and Paul's own.

This past Sunday, I compiled the following:
3 eggs
2 wedges Laughing Cow Swiss cheese
1 splash milk (cow, not soy or almond or jazzy)
3 apples, peeled
~1/4 cup brown sugar
~1/4 cup white sugar
~1/2 cup water
~1T flour
Cinnamon (approximately some)
3 frozen potato hashbrowns
Cheddar cheese (again, some or so)
4 slices soy bologna
2 slices "Popeye" bread - homemade loaf of spinach, roasted pepper, and Parmesan cheese bread I got at the Collingswood Farmers Market
Olive oil

The apples were my favorite, Fujis, which I had been enjoying all week after checking out the aforementioned Farmers Market last weekend; I love a bit of sweet fruit with my first meal of the week. I sliced these up in a saucepan, stirred in water and sugars with flour and cinnamon on low-medium heat, and put a lid on it to begin other chapters, minding it with an occasional stir. These are done whenever they're tender enough to take a fork with grace and are fine to sit on low until you're ready to go.

I scrambled the eggs up with a splash of milk, cutting the Swiss cheese wedges into creamy, swirling globlets. If this mixture were a band its name and first album ought to be "Swiss Pips and the Yolky Yellow Melt" - this is just a thought I had while preparing it and should not necessarily affect your experience. I cooked the Y^2Melt omelette-style in a lightly oiled pan, flipping instead of folding to make one layer of cheesy egg. The slices of Popeye bread (which obviously could be swapped out with other breads on a whim) got drizzled with olive oil and popped in the toaster oven.

The soy bologna got sliced into half-moons and pan-fried in olive oil, which actually turns out to be a great veg. substitute for ham, prosciutto, or porkroll. (I crave this stuff with mayo on a potato roll.) Construction: toasted bread below, soy bologna above, cheesy eggs one more, roofside salt and pepper to taste. Fork and knife accoutrements recommended for those outside of the messy carpet market.


The hashbrowns went in the microwave to thaw a bit, then tossed in a pan with about 1T heated olive oil to brown. When one side was crisp, I flipped and added the cheddar cheese to melt. Cheesy potatoes - nothin wrong with that.

Paul ran downstairs to get juice (Dole Orange-Strawberry-Banana is AWESOME, by the by - light and sweet, nice with ice.) I dished up our his and hers platters, appropriately dressed with cinnamon, salt, and pepper; we feasted in the sunlight like royalty. Sometimes - especially on three-cheeses-before-10am days - "good morning" doesn't even scratch the surface.




0 comments:

Post a Comment